User Guide for new USB Drivers and Ethernet

Please use the new Windows Deployment Tool for Raspberry Pi at the link below instead of following this guide. Only use this guide if that doesn’t work.

Hello,

This is a simple guide to creating a Windows 10 image using the new MCCI USB drivers and Ethernet support that was successful for me.

This guide uses an older Windows build (17134). I am testing a newer Windows build and will report back if that works.

What you need

• WoA Installer for Raspberry Pi
  • Windows 10 ARM image (this guide uses 17134)
  • Core Package 1.3
  • Ethernet driver
  • MCCI USB driver
  • New open-source UEFI prebuilt binaries
  • Class 10 minimum SD card

Caveats

• GPU isn’t supported - all is SW rendered
  • Onboard Wifi is not functional - You can use a USB wifi adapter
  • Ethernet works, but the lights don’t light up (UPDATE: Some say their boards do have their Ethernet light up. Mine doesn’t. Status unknown.)
  • No external RTC support means the system clock is all over the place
  • Windows self-activates and we don’t know why
  • USB drivers are officially supported from MCCI Inc, the same company Microsoft hired to create USB drivers currently in Windows 10 IoT Core. These drivers work, but are only licensed for non-commercial use.
  • Some performance issues. The latest builds with the new drivers seem particularly slow compared to the old USB drivers and UEFI. Hmm…
  • These instructions use some out-of-date software. This is only until newer versions can be tested later today.

Instructions
Newly updated, because the USB drivers are now in Core Package 1.3. The Ethernet drivers are not in the Core Package yet, so the instructions below allow you to add Ethernet support and disable overscan.

1. Go to https://github.com/WoA-project/WoA-Installer/blob/master/Docs/Raspberry.md and download build 17134 (the one I used, others might work as well) of Windows 10 Pro, and the Core Package 1.3. The Core Package is open-source. Don’t use the 17763 build in the screenshot - it blue screens with the new MCCI USB drivers. Also, don’t download from the http://uup.rg-adguard.net/ link - instead use https://uupdump.ml/.
  2. Download the Ethernet drivers from https://www.microchip.com/SWLibraryWeb/producttc.aspx?product=OBJ-LAN78xx-WINDOWS .
  3. Unzip Core Package 1.3, and go into the drivers/Pre-OOBE folder.
  4. Copy the nds650 folder from the ethernet drivers into the same Pre-OOBE folder.
  5. Modify config.txt in the UEFI folder, and add the line disable_overscan=1 at the end.
  6. Rezip the Core Package.
  7. Open the WoA on Raspberry Installer, select your Windows image (mount the ISO and go into the source folder to find the install.wim), and select the new Core Package you’ve modified on the Advanced tab. Flash.
  8. When booting up for the first time, hit ESC repeatedly to go into the boot menu. I don’t remember exactly where the options are, but you need to set the CPU frequency to Max instead of default (default is only 600mHz), Change the SD Controller from Broadcom to Arsan, and change the boot order so the Arsan controller boots before UEFI shell.
  9. Install Windows! (Note: This will take a while. Your Pi will reboot once during the install. If you didn’t change the boot order, you might come back after lunch to find it at the UEFI shell. Just restart hit, hit ESC, and boot from the SD card to continue setup.)

Recommended Post-Install Tasks

1. Set the ArsanSD to boot in the UEFI before UEFI shell. That way you don’t have to hit the ESC key repeatedly when starting up.
  2. Disable Windows Animations in the Ease of Access category of Settings.
  3. Disable Translucency in the Personalization section.
  4. Turn off your desktop background in Ease of Access category of Settings.
  5. New and Important: Go into the UEFI after installation and switch from Arasan back to Broadcom. Broadcom is noticeably faster.
1 Like

Maybe I will use a different build or a newer Core Package base next time, I just know that when I did the above, it worked and I have Ethernet and the new USB drivers functioning.

try testing the latest version of Windows 10 (build 18xxx) and for the latest version of the core package (1.3). please update UEFI. UEFI on current core package is old

I will try that. I wrote this not realizing Core Package 1.3 was released only 2 hours ago. Just taking a peek at the downloaded files, it doesn’t appear that the new 1.3 package has the Ethernet driver I have working above. I don’t know if the UEFI is updated on it, otherwise it would certainly fail to boot…

ive unzipped the 78xx driver but there’s no 150 folder could you elaborate more

Oops, my bad. nds650 is what I meant.

Thanks! ill try that out.

Okay, just looking around… this method also does this strange thing. If it is this method…

WEIRD.

I’m testing the Core Package 1.3 right now, and it seems to be working.

I thought Core Package 1.3 doesn’t have the Ethernet driver?

Yep. I just added it in using your instructions, but I’m not sure if this is a mistake in your guide or a difference in Core Package 1.3: The Drivers folder contains a folder called “Pre-OOBE” and that’s where all the drivers go, including any ones that you need to add in the guide.

Corrected. What build of Windows are you on?

I’m using 17134 Insider (Windows 10 Pro)

Is everything working?

I shouldn’t have put it this way, sorry, I’m still on the WoA installer. It’s stuck at 98 percent, so I think we can say that 1.3 doesn’t work so far, unless it starts going again.

Don’t Stop It! The last 2% is very slow. That is normal.

windows 10 build 17134, 17763 and 18334

I thought 17763 didn’t work with the MCCI Corp. Drivers?

for now

I use the driver from the WORproject
https://www.worproject.ml/downloads

but the driver has been modified. I just change the old USB driver (Dwusb) with a new USB driver (MCCI)

Does anyone know how to disable overscan, i have a black border around my screen