Known working builds?

I am looking at older builds right now to see if the performance is better or not. So far I managed to get the Home N version of 16299.461.180511-1033.RS3_RELEASE_SVC_ESCROW_IM_CLIENTCOREN_OEMRET_A64FRE_EN-GB to work. I’ve not tried the Pro version yet.

This one kept hanging at the blue logo without any spinning dots, but I might try it again:
16232.1000.170624-1334.RS_PRERELEASE_CLIENTMULTI_UUP_ARM64FRE_EN-US

Looking at the performance metrics in Task Manager /really/ makes me believe the only thing that needs to improve for it to work better (unless we get GPU acceleration going) is disk performance. It is constantly choked up near 100% while the cpu can hover around 50 and memory usage isn’t too bad either. x86 10 can run fine with 1Gb and a 1.6Ghz processor like a netbook - again that encounter disk performance problems that choke it without the cpu or ram being too troubled. I don’t believe there is too much to be gained from older builds with 10, as performance and ram use have generally gotten better over time, and its all the same crap needing tweaked and removed.

I might continue with 18836.1000.190208-1649.RS_PRERELEASE_CLIENTPRO later and have a go at removing all the included apps at some point soon and doing to a reasonable degree what DWS Lite does in disabling the telemetry services and other useless stuff. The N versions are great for a base but there’s still a lot left on there that could go. Shame there’s no ARM build of LTSC or LTSB versions.

(If anyone wants to try older builds - either remove the LAN before you EVER get to the desktop and disable Windows Update the same way you would on regular 10 to prevent it auto upgrading, or just keep the LAN cable out for good.)

This version (1709) is doing a feature update to 1803. YouTube doesn’t even work in the current version of Edge, and Firefox Nightly crashes.

I don’t know if its still the case but Youtube /could/ be affected by it being an N version. I think the N versions needed the “Media Pack” installed on older builds before things like that would work but don’t quote me on it.

I got it to not BSOD booting with an SSD. I may actually post a video on how to do all of this on 17763 with an SSD. I have to get some files and stuff together though and I’m going skiing today so it may not be for a couple of days. I’ll try for tonight but I’m not sure it will happen and it will be late if it does.

2 Likes

Thanks, would just be interesting.

Anybody have the Bluetooth / Wifi Working ?

Talking about disk performance, I wonder how much this would help.

SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDXC 64GB + SD Adapter (170MB/s)

Specifications:

• 64GB Storage Capacity
  • UHS-II / U3 / Class 10
  • Max Read Speed: 275 MB/s
  • Max Write Speed: 100 MB/s
  • Min Write Speed: 30 MB/s

Youtube videos won’t play smoothly on any version so far, and it’s got nothing to do with home vs. professional or needing any media packs. It has to be either the swap space being limited to an SD card with poor drivers, RAM, CPU, lack of graphics card drivers or combination of all. If you try a Linux operating system running Chromium on the Pi, it’s actually possible to stream 720p or even 1080p youtube vids without any problem - on the same hardware. And Windows doesn’t have this problem on a LattePanda, which also has 1.4 GHz, albeit Intel instead of ARM.

I think the actual SD reader on the Pi itself might be limited in terms of transfer rate, not 100% sure.

I meant Youtube not playing at all could be affected by that. It did happen on some earlier 10 builds on x86 and I seem to remember that being the problem.
(For example, Server 2016 did not include any of the codecs/dlls and Youtube and other streaming sites did not work on those. It definitely happened on regular 10 early on, so the N choice might play a part. Theory based on experience, could be entirely wrong.)

As I said, Linux can play videos fine on the same hardware, so it’s not the SD reader, but possibly the drivers. The read/write speed was very slow when tested from inside Windows 10 on ARM, but I have not done the same test on Linux. I doubt the official Pi drivers on Linux would result in the same slowdown. I don’t know what drivers we have for Windows 10 or why there’s the Arasan vs. Broadcom thingy.

The SD reader line was a response to someone else talking generally about the disk access speed not videos, just to clear that up.
Task Manager suggests its slow simply with the amount of processes accessing the disk at once though which is why I want to have a try at attacking that side of things to see what gains can be made. And to be clear, I’ve been using the Pi since the literal first batch (256Mb!) and have a half dozen Pi Zero things running, so I’m very familiar with them - DietPi is fantastic - as I am with Windows builds. So my theories aren’t uneducated ones. This forum however is slightly puzzling to read correctly. :wink:

(And while I’m at it - the Server ARM64 build shows the boot logo for about three seconds and then just does nothing. So that’s that tried out then!)

Windows 10 Pro 1809 (17763)
Core Package 1.4
UEFI 16.Jan 2019

• CPU Clock: Max
  • uSD: Arsana

Works!

2 Likes

Hi Bullseye

Did you do anything special to get it working and is all you did as per these instructions ?

With Core Package 1.4 as per instructions and Windows 10 Pro 1803 as I kept getting BSOD with Windows 10 Pro 1809 i am only see 600Mhz core clock on Pi 3.

I am starting to wonder if the Pi 3 B+ is not key here.

Would be interesting to hear.

Thanks

click on Esc at boot in the UEFI stage and set the clock speed to maximum.

Yes it works in a Pi 3.

1 Like

Thanks lamosca01

Running “Windows 10 Pro 1809” ?

Thanks

thelerminatorza
Hi Bullseye
Did you do anything special to get it working and is all you did as per these instructions ?

hi thelerminatorza,

No, nothing special.

1. use the WOA Deployer
  2. select CorePacked 1.4
  3. insert the uSD card into you Raspberry Pi 3B+
  4. bevor install Windows go to UEFI end set Max CPU Speed, uSD to Arsana and change boot order.
  5. start Installation
  6. enable remote Desktop (User requires password) (optional)
  7. works

Full name of my ISO: 17763.292.190115-1726.RS5_RELEASE_SVC_PROD2_CLIENTPRO_OEMRET_A64FRE_DE-DE.ISO

This ISO also runs on my Lumia 950 XL.

So here’s a thing. You want better performance in 1833*? Enable admin account.Uninstall onedrive from programs menu. Disable Windows update and Smartscreen (kill exe, take ownership, rename or delete).
THEN do Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppxPackage
THEN do Get-AppxProvisionedpackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedpackage -online.
This will remove ALL of the apps… and results in far better performance and 0-10% disk access on an SD card.
This should also work with other builds.

I can not see how that improves performance. It caches frequently used info in RAM. If anything it should improve performance, at least after a few minutes of usage.

1 Like