Can we boot from a USB HDD?

on my method. I only install UEFI on the SD card or flashdrive which is formatted to Fat32. then on hdd / ssd I created 2 partitions. the first partition to boot into windows (formatted to fat32). and the second is Windows (formatted to NTFS). after all partitions have been made. I apply the WIM file to the second partition (Windows) and make the bootloader on the first partition with CMD.
after applying windows is complete. I inject the driver into the Windows partition. but before that I modified the inf usb driver file (change startType to 0)

CMD list command
note : open cmd with run as administrator

• Apply WIM
    dism /apply-image /imagefile:(location Install.wim) /index:1 /applydir:(location to apply WIM exemple F:)

• Inject Driver
    dism /image:(location WIM applied) /add-driver /driver:(location of the driver folder) /recurse /forceunsigned

• Make Bootloader
    bcdboot F:\Windows /s E: /f UEFI
    note: E: is bootloader parttion, F:\windows is windows folder location

• set windows to test MODE
    bcdedit /store E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bcd /set {default} testsigning on

• Skip Checking Driver
    bcdedit /store E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bcd /set {default} nointegritychecks on

for boot to hdd / ssd I just go to UEFI then to the boot menu and select usb HDD / SSD

do you understand what Iā€™m talking about?
or I make a tutorial video like @AnthonyTalerico

I think I understand. So the driver pack in my ā€œPi Packā€ has the boot from ssd-ready version of the USB. What I do to get UEFI working properly is install Windows altogether the normal way, then format the partition that is Windows on the SD card keeping only UEFI. UEFI must be on both partitions. Once youā€™re in UEFI with Windows and UEFI installed on the SSD, you should try going to your boot manager and booting directly to the SSD. At that point, Windows should start loading. Is this what youā€™ve done?

like I said before

Summary is that you need 1 storage that can be used to run UEFI and boot to usb hdd / ssd

This is exactly it. What Oky12 just said simplifies what I was trying to say. Thank you sir!

1 Like

Iā€™ve installed everything on an USB drive and plugged in an empty SD card for the paging file.
This should work out-of-the-box on the Pi 3 B+ model. On the B model youā€™ll have to set the OTP bit responsible for USB boot.

OK, Mario, thatā€™s my case I think. Iā€™m using B (non plus) I understand that I need have to set the ā€œOTP bitā€. Itā€™s the first time I heard about it. How can we set it? Inside the UEFI?

Thanks

Add ā€œprogram_usb_boot_mode=1ā€ to your config.txt file and boot up the Pi (from a SD card). You can remove that line afterwards.

2 Likes

Itā€™s booting! Thank you very much!

1 Like

Iā€™m glad someone knew that! I had no idea. Itā€™s weird how it works on some and not on others without that line.

1 Like

Ok so here is whats up.You have turn the usb current to max in the config txt.You can do this in the windows while running.Next changing the INFs is fine for usb only.If you put it on the card,it can possibly boot loop.Boot directly from usb,now after everything is loaded,put your windows sdcard back in.Now shrink the windows on the sd card.Now you should end up with 3 partitions.Go to paged filing and fix it up.I know this works.Any questions just ask!

Hi, I am using pie 3B the same as yours , the bit is already enabled, i installed windows 10 suceesfully on usb flash drive several times but unable to boot when using kingston ssd or 2.5 hdd,tried several methods, the installers and manual mbr and gpt method,they all end up with the rainbow blue screen. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

What type of writing program are you using?WoA,or WoR,or something else.Have you changed the INF files.You go into dev folder and right click open then edit the boot to hd.Its a 0 for hd,3 for sdcard.Its at the very bottom,I canā€™t see mine or remember what the name they use for it.But I promise this is what your missing.Go look up my buddy NovaSpirtā€™s video on youtube.He goes into detail if you dont get it.Itā€™s called How to win10 from ssd rpi3+

Thanks for your suggestions, I made all the changes,watched all relavent youtube videos,used woa,wor,manual gpt googulator method and manual mbr method, also tried many insider versions, still I get the rainbow,system try to boot for few minutes then get the blue screen.I am using usb3 to sata converter enclosure with 5v 1A ps with seperate power supply for raspberry 5V. 2amp.

Your set up is fine.What you can do is if you have a sd card,Put windows on it first.Wait,you changed the 2 INF files?Iā€™m sure you did,try this.Can you tell me your window bios settings?Did you change from arsn to broadcam chip?There is two things I know that might help.First go into boot menu,go to the boot maintence manager.Open it up and boot from file.Find your hd and press enter.Make sure there is a blank sd in it before rebooting so it can install the boot swap to it.You might have to reboot twice for the swap file to takeā€¦You must use the sd card slot for the first setup.You donā€™t need windows on it.But If you have windows on the sd card already,its also fine to use as is because it should already have the swapfile on it.Now after all that,while install the for the first time over usb,you must wait until windows says getting devices ready.When the screen turns black.turn the pi off then back on,it will not restart itself If you wait too long the screen will just turn blue and try to restart after crashing.This can ruin your install.Not always but its happen to me b4ā€¦After off on has been done,complete the install.After that you can go to file explorer on the pi and reformat your sdcard ntfs or fat32 so you can use it for page filing.You can also go to the config.txt inside the pi for adjusting overclock and basically the same as strechsā€™ or linux on pi.When your done with that you can go ahead and change the virtual memory.AKA paged file.Reboot go to boot order and make sure your hd is first,then sd,then shell.HypeDxe needs to be set like this,{Ordered from top to bottom}system boot mode EL1,debug log mask4 donā€™t hook and 0.Did you increase the usb current?If not you think you have stable power from a powered usbhd.Thats wrong,windows will only boot correctly from usb with the {max_current_usb=1}.Put this in the config.txt.Let me know how it goes.If it still gives you problems,I can help you set it up from here.Ask if you have questions problems,or issues installing.I can walk you though it. .It should take but 1hour the most.Thereā€™s something,what are using to install with?WoR,or WoA, There are alot more ways.If none of this works,I will help you take the correct path and get it up and running.

V[quote=ā€œtmm, post:5, topic:89ā€]
removability.
[/quote]
Thank you very much for your help,all your suggestions been followed but still does not boot. As i mentioned before, I tried almostly all different guides and suggestions given in this forum and others by okey12,anthony,mario,Daniel912,lamosca01,gillius and others,also using WOA ,WOR and cmd methods,all give the same result,boot does not go through,I also tried another pi3B and another kingston ssd 60gb. I have no problem when installing usb fast flash drive like sandisk ,so i know that both my pi3B boots into usb but not ssd or hdd,always put fat 32 empty sd for swap file. I also ran rasbian and ubunto using that ssd and hdd disks using the same usb3 to hdd converter. It seems more work needed to make pi3B not B+ boot reliably. Blue screen comes before I reach the stage ā€˜getting devices readyā€™ . Thanks for your help.

Its the kingston.I looked it up.Something doesnā€™t jive with the ssd.A blue scorpion or western digital is what you need.I am using a hd out of on of my ps3 and ps4.You could also use one from a 360xbox.Most of them are all the same.Hitachi also works.If you donā€™t have one,or the money for one.I will give you a way to get a hold of me and I will mail you one.I got plenty.Thats not file sharing right?

Thank you , I am getting msata 60 gb soon and also have western digital 2.5ā€™ 320 gb hdd. I much appreciate your help.

1 Like

can this tool replace the USB boot?

Edit: nevermind. thatā€™s still use usb for connect to raspberry pi

It can. I have one sitting on my desk. I use that and the Geekworm X850. I prefer the Geekworm so Iā€™m actually selling the desktop one that you posted for 35 if youā€™re interested. Either one is good. You plug in an mSATA drive to it and it allows you to have a clean looking case. I also have the fan kit with it included in the sale. The one thing I can say though is that one doesnā€™t cool as well as the X850.

Iā€™ve just tried the HDD thing and it works fine even without any SD in, but you get a pagefile error. Used a 128GB SD card and formatted it for it. Works great!