USB drivers logistical questions

Awesome!

A few burning questions I have:

1. When will this be supported on the WoA-Installer and WoR Projects?
  2. Let’s say Windows on RPi somehow, one day, was reliable enough for some non-critical commercial use. Would the IT dept. contact MCCI for a commercial license? (Or perhaps donate a certain amount to the NYC Things organization?)
  3. If this can be installed onto an existing Windows on RPi setup, how would that be done?
  1. When will this be supported on the WoA-Installer and WoR Projects?

I can’t comment on that, not my projects.

1. Let’s say Windows on RPi somehow, one day, was reliable enough for some non-critical commercial use. Would the IT dept. contact MCCI for a commercial license? (Or perhaps donate a certain amount to the NYC Things organization?)

The IT department should contact MCCI for a commercial license.

1. If this can be installed onto an existing Windows on RPi setup, how would that be done?

Check @driver1998’s post; there are two drivers to install, and you have to make sure they’re both present and set up. MCCI could probably cross-compile our driver pre-installer to do all the work, or I could offer instructions to an interested hacker. To do this cleanly, you have to call SetupUi etc. to “pre-install” the drivers (getting everything into \windows\inf and \windows\system32) and then you have to do an “update driver” to replace what you already have). I assume you already have a USB driver as it’s hard to do keyboard/mouse otherwise.

We have a very basic open-source USB driver included in those projects, but it is really bad. Only some mice and keyboards are supported, it doesn’t work with USB flash drives (AFAIK), and it typically just randomly stops working after several minutes. Also, if any USB devices are plugged in when Windows 10 is booting, Windows 10 will blue screen. (Your MCCI driver sounds absolutely superior in every way to it.)

I’m sympathetic to the author(s) of the open-source drivers; it’s really very hard work. We owe him/her a vote of thanks because those drivers got things working well enough to prove the concept.

Absolutely. He was the first to get it working at all, last year.